The Pros of Dating a Poker Player. Like most things in life, there are both positives and negatives when it comes to dating a professional poker player. Here is a list I’ve compiled of some of the positives.
1. They have freedom. Professional poker players have the unique and enviable ability to set their own hours and change their schedules freely. I am able to sleep in whenever I would like and can’t be fired or reprimanded for being late to work. This freedom allows me to spend as much time as I want with family and friends. I can work on vacation or take a vacation to work. In relationships this flexibility comes in very handy.
2. Seemingly unlimited income potential. I currently play 50 – 100 hours a month, if I want to make more money I simply commit to playing more hours. I know some players who play double the amount I play. Playing 50 – 100 has suited me well and allows me to work on other projects and financial endeavors.
3. Security. A successful poker player’s job is not dictated by the labor market or economic instability. Your partner never has to worry about a government shutdown or the unemployment rate. If action slows down in a particular area I can always travel or play online.
4. Ability to travel or relocate at a moment’s notice. It is currently 6 AM on a Thursday and I am traveling to Maryland tomorrow. I booked a one way ticket and will be playing at Maryland Live Casino for the weekend. The weekend after that I will travel between Atlantic City and Philadelphia, playing poker and visiting friends. For the right person who enjoys travelling for work, this could be a dream scenario.
5. Healthier lifestyle. Contrary to popular belief, many top professionals are very healthy. They incorporate a normal exercise routine as well as a healthy diet to help improve their game. Poker is a grueling game of endurance and demands a level of mental focus that being in shape and eating healthy definitely helps. I am not in the best shape of my life, but I have lost about 15 pounds and am working to improve my overall health. Although there are a lot of positives, next week we will focus on the dark side.